clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Small Fire Breaks Out at Mudgie’s Deli and Wine Bar in Detroit

The structure is intact, but the extent of the damage is unknown

A red fire truck parked next to a stop sign at the corner of Porter and Brooklyn in Detroit. Yellow and white awning and sign that says Mudgie’s also pictured.
Detroit Fire crews responded to reports of rekindling of a fire in the rear of a building at Mudgie’s Deli and Wine Bar. The extent of the damage was unknown.
Photo by Serena Maria Daniels
Serena Maria Daniels is the editor for Eater Detroit.

Detroit firefighters are investigating a small fire that broke out in a section of Corktown’s beloved Mudgie’s Deli and Bar early Thursday morning.

Crews were first called to the 1300 block of Porter at 4:38 a.m. to respond to the blaze, which appeared to take place in a ceiling area in the rear of the building, and were later called back at 9:01 a.m. to address rekindling, says Robert Distelrath, DFD’s second deputy fire commissioner. The fire cause minor damage and no one was injured, but the cause was not immediately known.

Firefighters could be seen hosing down the rear of the smaller building facing Brooklyn Street that adjoins to Mudgie’s original structure just after 9 a.m.

Among those at the scene was Liza Pulgini, the wife of the late Greg Mudge, who founded the deli in 2008, but died unexpected on September 5 at the age of 46. Pulgini declined to comment.

Mudgie’s had become a fixture in the Corktown neighborhood, racking up national accolades for its house-smoked meats and sauces, most recently from the James Beard Foundation, which nominated the popular eatery for Outstanding Hospitality in recognition for Mudge’s always welcoming personality.

Lindy Link, a resident who lives up the street from Mudgie’s said her husband woke her up around 4:30 a.m. because he heard the sirens from fire trucks. She says she went out Thursday to talk with someone who works at the restaurant to find out what happened.

“With everything else that’s happened, it’s been so devastating and heartbreaking,” says Link.

Distelrath says that when he received a reporter’s email about the fire Thursday morning, he too was curious, having been a longtime patron of the restaurant.

“I hope that they’d be able to get up and running very quickly, and that it won’t have any severe effect on their operation or community,” says Distelrath.

Details are developing. Please check back for updates as they become available.


1300 Porter Street, , MI 48226 (313) 961-2000 Visit Website