Like all businesses, metro Detroit’s vegan and vegetarian restaurants are adapting to the new era of novel coronavirus. While some have adopted carryout and delivery, some businesses are closed all together.
Eater has mapped out the restaurants with good vegan and vegetarian options that are currently serving their regular menu items. Below, we’ve also compiled a guide to spots that are offering vegan and vegetarian take-and-bake meals and grocery items like sauces, faux meat and dairy, and produce. Finally, there’s a brief guide to vegan desserts, because everyone deserves something sweet right now.
Did we overlook a spot? Drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll make the update to this guide. For the safety of staff, delivery workers, and other customers, please respect social distancing measures by maintaining a distance of at least six feet from other people, avoiding large groups, wearing a mask over your nose and mouth, washing your hands regularly, and staying home when sick.
Meal Kits and Restaurant Groceries
- Nosh Pit: Place orders for produce boxes (gluten-free optional), as well as snacks, ice cream, housemade vegan sauces, bread, faux meat, and faux dairy in Nosh Pit’s online shop.
- Detroit Vegan Soul: In addition to its regular menu, Detroit Vegan Soul’s Grandmont-Rosedale location is selling ready-to-bake family meals such as vegan burger kits, spaghetti and meatballs, and okra stew with cornbread muffins. Order online for curbside pickup.
- Ferndale Project: This Ferndale brewpub is offering produce boxes as well as vegan pastries and frozen vegan pasties in its online shop. Order for delivery or curbside pickup.
- Pietrzyk Pierogi: Fill up on vegan Polish food from Pietrzyk Pierogi in Gratiot Central Market. The restaurant offers box packages with pierogi, soup, myzeria, kaputsa, bread, and non-dairy toppings.
- Pink Flamingo: In addition to delivery meals, customers can purchase vegan barbecue jackfruit sandwich kits and basics like salad greens, rice, flour, and banana ketchup from this online shop.
- Chive Kitchen: Place online orders 24-hours in advance for pickup at Chive Kitchen. The restaurant is now service prepared vegan meals and condiments like baked pasta and deviled chickpea tunaless salad as well as grocery items like Smart Dogs, Coco Whip, vegan cream cheese, ice cream, and produce boxes.
- Takoi/Magnet: Find options like curry and vegetable soup kits, pickles, focaccia bread, and more in Magnet and Takoi’s online marketplace. Items are available for pickup curbside in Core City.
- Brooklyn Street Local: Find condiments like creamy tahini dressing and spicy maple mustard on the menu alongside vegetarian quiche and coffee from Brooklyn Street Local at Fishey Farms’ stand at 2334 Buchanan St. from noon to 3 p.m. every Friday. Submit orders by email for pickup.
- The Kitchen, By Cooking With Que: Find smoothie-worthy produce including carrots, apples, ginger, bananas, and kale in this New Center restaurant’s online shop.
- Dos Locos Tacos: This vegan-friendly taco shop in Hamtramck is offering family-style meal boxes filled with tacos, quesadillas, burritos, and more. Each pack is enough to feed between two and eight people. Call 313-872-6838 to place an order.
- Ochre Bakery: This Core City-based bakery is now taking orders online for Saturday pickup. The shop offers items like bags of coffee as well as vegan carrot and red lentil dip, grain salads, olive oil, salt, vinegars, and more.
- Detroit Zen Center: For a selection of grains, legumes, and vegan snacks, check out Detroit Zen Center’s takeout market. Forms should be submitted by email and pre-paid for curbside pickup.
- Folk: In addition to fresh produce, grains, and nut butters, customers can find coconut milk, vegan power bars, and beet hummus in Folk’s online shop for curbside pickup.
- Marrow: Although Marrow is a butcher shop it also caters to vegetarians and vegans with items like vegetarian dumpling kits, vegetarian ramen kits, vegan curry kits, and local produce. Order online for curbside pickup.
- Cold Truth: This Cass Corridor shop offers vegan soft serve and ice cream sandwiches from its walk-up window. Keep track of the hours by following along on social media.
- For the Love of Sugar: This cake shop is open for carryout service and features slices of cake in vegan flavors as well as macaron.
- Good Cakes and Bakes: This Livernois Avenue bakery offers vegan versions of layer cakes and cupcakes for curbside pickup and delivery. Place orders online or call 313-468.9915.
- Nosh Pit: Place orders for vegan and gluten-free Ice Cream Plant pints, chocolate beet cupcakes, lemon cookies, and other desserts through Nosh Pit’s online shop.
- Ferndale Project: This brewery and restaurant is selling vegan and gluten-free ice cream sandwiches, vegan take-and-bake cinnamon rolls, pastries, and pints of vegan and gluten-free ice cream in its online shop.
- Detroit Vegan Soul: Order online and choose from options like peach cobbler, apple crisp, and German chocolate cake.
- Pink Flamingo: Try vegan desserts from this delivery-only restaurant such as the vegan citrus-lilikoi bars with cashew coconut, lemon, lime, and passion fruit flavor.
- Shimmy Shack: Find vegan desserts and candies such as banana splits and lollipops at this Plymouth restaurant. Shimmy Shack is accepting orders by phone at 734-228-5990 as well as through its online store for pickup. Order delivery through Doordash.
- Chive Kitchen: Find items like chocolate, apple fritters, rice pudding, cookies, layer cake, and more in this Farmington-based vegan restaurant’s online shop.
- Takoi/Magnet: Pick up a pint of vegan coconut milk ice cream from Magnet and Takoi’s online marketplace.
- Brooklyn Street Local: This Corktown restaurant’s farm stand menu features vegan mini cupcakes for $4 per box of four. Place orders by email for pickup on Fridays.
- The Kitchen, By Cooking With Que: Now open for lunch carryout orders, the Kitchen offers items like vegan citrus pound cake and vegan trail mix cookies on its dessert menu. Call 313-462-4184 to place an order for pickup.
- Treat Dreams: Both the Ferndale dessert bar and Cass Corridor ice cream shop carry vegan desserts such as cookies and sorbet.
• Where to Order Vegan and Vegetarian Food for Carryout and Delivery in Metro Detroit [ED]
• A Guide to Restaurants Selling Groceries in Metro Detroit [ED]
• A Guide to Southeast Michigan Farms and Markets Selling Produce, Plant Starts, and More [ED]
• What (and How) to Eat in Detroit During the Coronavirus Pandemic [ED]