The novel coronavirus pandemic has hit many restaurants during the traditionally busy spring season. Not only does the warmer weather tend to attract more customers in Michigan, but it’s also a season of major holidays — including Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Typically, metro Detroit’s halal restaurants might see a big increase in evening and early morning traffic during this time as Muslim customers eat after daily fasting. Unfortunately, what’s usually a time of communal celebration, has become a time of social distancing. Many restaurants have also temporarily closed for health and safety reasons as well as low sales.
While it’s difficult to keep track of seasonal changes in hours at halal restaurants during Ramadan, right now it’s particularly challenging due to temporary closures and reopenings. Below, Eater has compiled a guide to some halal restaurants around the area that are open. Some are sticking to their usual menus while others are offering iftar and suhoor specials for Ramadan and adjusting hours to accommodate customers breaking fast.
All establishments are open for carryout and delivery-only with limits to the number of people allowed inside of businesses and other methods of social distancing. If there’s a place that’s open and should be added to the list, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org with information regarding business hours and ordering procedures. Please remember to follow public health guidelines and stay home when you’re sick, wash your hands, stay six feet apart from others in public, and wear a mask over your nose and mouth. Don’t forget to tip generously.
- Cedarland Restaurant: This Lebanese mainstay is taking orders for carryout with pickup at the drive-thru window. Call ahead to place orders at 313-582-4849. Ramadan hours are 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Kings Bakery: The home of the manouwich is accepting orders for Ramadan. Call 313-551-3027 to place an order for pickup. Ramadan hours midnight to 4:30 a.m. with the last orders accepted at 4 a.m.
- Al Tayeb: Both the Dearborn and Garden City locations of this Lebanese breakfast spot are open for carryout orders during Ramadan. The hours are 4 p.m. through iftar Monday through Sunday.
- Golden Bakery: This West Warren-area bakery is serving pizzas, desserts, and more 24-hours a day for carryout during Ramadan.
- Zaatar W Zeit: Pick up sfeha (meat pies), flatbreads, and purse-shaped kaak bread from this Lebanese bakery in Dearborn. Call 313-945-1200 to place an order. This spot is open from midnight to 5 a.m. for Ramadan.
- Haneeth House: Yemeni restaurant Haneeth House is accepting orders online for carryout and curbside pickup during the month of Ramadan. The menu is available online and call 313-846-9330 to place an orders for iftar between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. The restaurant is open until 10 p.m.
- Sheeba Restaurant: This duo of Yemeni restaurants is open for service from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. daily during the month of Ramadan. Menus are available online. Call ahead to place an order at the Dearborn or West Dearborn location.
- Hamido Restaurant: Hamido is still accepting orders for carryout and delivery by phone and through Grubhub at its Dearborn and Dearborn Heights locations.
- Taystee’s Burgers: This halal burger restaurant remains open for service at its 10419 Ford Rd. location only. Call 313-724-6535 for pickup or order for free delivery to Dearborn and Dearborn Heights.
- Qahwah House: This Yemeni cafe is open from noon to 2 a.m. during Ramadan. Call ahead at 313-908-4521 to place orders for pickup. The shop is offering a buy on, get one 50 percent-off deal on coffee and Qishr.
- Rafic’s Falafel: This falafel shop is serving out of a food truck at its Schaefer Road location during Ramadan. Check social media for the latest updates on the hours.
- Iraqi Kabob: This kabob shop remains open for carryout service daily from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Call 313-945-9400 to place an order.
- Al-Ameer: This Lebanese restaurant favorite is doing carryout and delivery. Call the Dearborn or Dearborn Heights location to place an order for pickup or order online via Doordash or Uber Eats.
- Masri Sweets: This Dearborn bakery is accepting orders for trays of baklava, kanafeh, and cakes online via Uber Eats. The shop also ships with UPS. Call 313-584-3500 for more information.
- A.B.’s Amazing Ribs: This halal barbecue spot remains open for service daily in Dearborn Heights from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. or until sold out. Call 313-914-2159 to place an order. The restaurant is also offering free delivery on orders of $30 or more.
- M Cantina: This Dearborn Mexican restaurant serves halal food and remains open for carryout orders. Purchase a meal online for pickup.
- Balkan House: With locations in Hamtramck and Ferndale, halal restaurant Balkan House remains open for carryout and delivery service. Place orders online for pickup or through Doordash for delivery.
- Aladdin Sweets & Cafe: This Bangladeshi restaurant remains open with iftar boxes and other items for carryout. Call 313-891-8050 or drop in to pick up between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. daily during Ramadan.
- Royal Kabob: This restaurant remains open carryout orders. Call 313-872-9454 to place an order for curbside pickup.
- Bonoful Restaurant: This Bangladeshi restaurant is open for carryout with iftar boxes from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. Call to place an order for pickup or order through Doordash or Grubhub for delivery.
- Amar Pizza: This Bangladeshi-American pizzeria is serving food for pickup and delivery daily at the Hamtramck location only. Call 313-366-0980, place an order online, or order delivery.
- Yemen Cafe: Yemeni restaurant Yemen Cafe is closed for dine-in service but continues to offer carryout from 8 a.m. to midnight every day. Call 313-871-4349 to place an order.
- California Burgerz: Halal burger shop California Burgerz is open for pickup and delivery. Call 313-703-8000 to place an order or order online through Uber Eats, Doordash, Grubhub, or Postmates.
- Al Chabab: Syrian Restaurant Al Chabab has reopened for service from noon to 9 p.m. Call 313-582-2927 to place an order for carryout.
- El Asador Steakhouse: Springwells-based Mexican restaurant El Asador is known for serving halal-certified meat and is accepting orders for carryout. Call 313-297-2360 to order.
- Bismillah Kabob: This Bangladeshi restaurant is still offering iftar boxes during Ramadan. Place orders for carryout between noon and 8:30 p.m. Call 586-427-0018.
- Pattternz: Syrian restaurant Pattternz is open from noon to 8 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday during Ramadan. Call 586-693-5700 to place an order for carryout.
- Ishtar Restaurant: This Iraqi restaurant has reopened for service during Ramadan from 11 a.m. to midnight daily. Call 586-698-2585 to place orders for carryout and delivery.