Just a few weeks after opening its doors in Cass Corridor, Poke Burri has permanently closed. The restaurant unexpectedly shut its doors in January, citing “unforeseen circumstances” in posts to social media and hasn’t returned since, according to the Detroit News.
Co-founder Seven Chan confirmed the closure in a statement to Eater by phone on Wednesday. “Poke Burri and the local franchise owner had a parting of ways, but we really like the city and we hope to be back very soon,” he says, stating that the response in Detroit had been positive.
Poke Burri first debuted in 2016 in Atlanta. The company is known for build-your-own poke bowls and burrito-sized sushi rolls as well as stunty specials like ring-shaped sushi doughnuts, sushi pizza, and deep-fried sushi corndogs.
Chan and co-founder Ken Yu began expanding and franchising the business shortly after opening the first location. Chan told Eater in December that the restaurant chain was poised to open 20 more locations in 2020. Poke Burri in Detroit was the company’s fourth location. It opened in mid-December under the management of engineer Mohamad Atwi of Dearborn.
• Poke Burri Appears to Have Closed in Midtown Just Weeks After Opening [Detroit News]
• Poke Burri Brings Sushi Doughnuts to Midtown on Wednesday [ED]
• Instagram-Baiting Chain Poke Burri Is Opening in Midtown With Sushi Pizza [ED]
• Detroit Will Soon Have Its Very Own Spot for Sushi Pizza [ED]