The northeast corner of 14 Mile and South Main Street in Clawson won’t be sitting vacant for long. A new community-centered bar and restaurant called Pumachug has leased the former Black Lotus Brewing Company space.
City residents Andrea and Tyler Williams are behind the project, whose unusual name is a callback to 1829 when Clawson was known as Pumachug and the Corners. The Williamses are still in the very early stages of developing the project, which came together following news of Black Lotus’s closure in October. The pair are currently requesting feedback from the community in the form of a survey for what they’d like to see in their local hangout.
Clawson has seen several closures recently, including Black Lotus and 10-year-old Vietnamese restaurant Đà Nẵng. The shutters spurred some conversation about the health of the local downtown district. However, it’s also welcomed quite a few new business — namely White Wolf Patisserie and Three Cats. The announcement of Pumachug only adds to the new developments happening in the metro Detroit suburb.