Corktown’s shuttered UFO Factory is poised to make a comeback in October more than a year after construction workers at a surrounding development damaged the bar’s building. Co-owner Dion Fischer tells the Metro Times that the bar is on track to open at 2110 Trumbull Ave. on October 26.
The beloved bar and music venue was officially declared unsafe for occupancy and condemned by city inspectors in August 2017. Crews were working on the $45 million Elton Park development smashed the footings of the northside wall of the UFO Factory resulting in a massive fissure along the silver-painted brick. Employees were inside the building at the time of the incident. When the Elton Park project is complete, it will ominously sandwich the UFO Factory on all sides.
In order to repair the building, the UFO Factory’s wall had to be removed and rebuilt. Work began last spring. While the bar may be making a comeback, fans of UFO Factory’s in-house hot dog and tater tot slinger Laika Dog will have to wait a while longer for a revival. Stay tuned for updates on the opening.
• UFO Factory Plots October Reopening After a Year of Uncertainty [Metro Times]
• UFO Factory Forced to Close After Construction Crews Damage Building [ED]
• Construction Commences on Damaged UFO Factory Building [ED]
• Elton Park Starts Construction in Corktown [CDET]
• All UFO Factory Coverage [ED]