Detroit’s small business development program Motor City Match is back again with its 12th round of grants. As expected, there are tons of exciting food and beverage projects amongst this most recent crop of award recipients including breweries, bars, bakeries, and markets. Here’s an introduction to the latest round of food industry winners:
- Ochre Bakery ($30,000): The owners of Astro Coffee are not-so-secretly working on a new bakery and coffee roastery at the edge of Core City and Woodbridge. Ochre Bakery is slated to open in 2018. The building is owned by Prince Concepts, whose president Philip Kafka is an investor in Takoi. The area is very close to Prince’s quonset hut development True North and forthcoming restaurant Magnet. Location: 4884 Grand River Ave., Unit 1A
- Spot Lite ($40,000): A live entertainment space, art gallery, bar, and cafe is heading to an building near the Heidelberg Project. The project from publishing company 1xRun is expected to debut in January 2019, according to WDET. Location: 2905 Beaufait St.
- Petty Cash Kitchen + Cocktail Bar ($50,000): Not many details are available about this upcoming restaurant and bar near Green Acres. It appears to be filling the former O’quins Shrimp House. Location: 20050 Livernois Ave.
- Brewery Faisan ($60,000) Husband and wife team Rachel and Paul Szlaga confirmed their upcoming brewery venture to Eater last fall. The 9,000-square-foot brewhouse will feature a 15-barrel system focused on brewing Belgian-style beers. Location: 1087 Beaufait St.
- Chene Street Grocers ($50,000) Long-awaited Poletown market Chene Street Grocers has secured financing for its store that will feature fresh, local produce and bulk dry goods on the east side. Location: 5200 Chene St.
The Motor City Match program launched in 2015 and has provided financial assistance, business mentorship, and real estate opportunities to dozens of local enterprises. Some past Motor City Match winners include Rocco’s Italian Deli, Narrow Way Cafe, and Eastern Market Brewing Company. Stay tuned for more details on these upcoming projects.