The 10th round of Motor City Match grants has been announced today and a few area food businesses have been awarded funding to get their startups off the ground or take them to the next level. This time around, the number of food-related winners was a bit shorter than previous rounds.
- Cooking with Que: Described as a live-demo kitchen, this brick and mortar will continue the work of vegan blogger/podcaster Quiana Broden, who shares insights on implementing a plant-based cooking into daily life. Cooking with Que was awarded a $60,000 grant to establish in New Center next to fellow round 10 awardee Ferne Boutique and on the same block as round nine winner New Center Eatery.
- Alma Kitchen: A multicultural eatery located in Jefferson Chalmers near where former MCM winner Bar Botánica plans to open, Alma Kitchen (awarded $50,000) already operates a catering business. As part of its lease agreement, the restaurant will be required to employ at least 50 percent locals and partner with a nearby school to fulfill this need.
- Drizzle Dreams: Makers of hand-dipped chocolate fruits, candy and other treats, Drizzle Dreams (winner of $30,000) will locate in the Madison Building downtown, the same building where previous winner Bamboo Detroit is headquartered.
The Motor City Match program started in 2015 to provide small businesses with financial and development assistance and real estate options. A number of restaurants and small businesses have since launched with the help of MCM’s resources. Other recent winners include Batch Brewing Company, Big Mama’s Southern Kitchen and PizzaPlex.
• All Motor City Match Coverage [ED]
• All Eater Tracking Coverage [ED]