Six existing Detroit breweries and six up and coming local beer purveyors are teaming up this fall to produce a series of collaborative brews as part of the annual Detroit Beer Experiment.
At a meeting held on August 22 at Brew Detroit in Corktown, participating brewers gathered to discuss the logistics of this years’ event and to begin discussing possible recipe ideas. Organizers tell Eater the Detroit Beer Experiment is designed to attract more attention to the city’s growing brewing industry.
Unlike the first year, which paired local breweries with restaurants, brewers were randomly teamed with forthcoming breweries. Each one will combine forces to create a beer and the public will vote on the recipes in the week leading up to the Detroit Fall Beer Festival, held on October 27-28 at Eastern Market. Here are the teams:
- Motor City Brewing Works and Rosedale Beer and Bistro (heading to Rosedale Park this winter)
- Traffic Jam & Snug and Eastern Market Brewing Co. (opening on September 28 in Eastern Market)
- Brew Detroit and Brewery Faisan (possibly opening near Islandview)
- Atwater Beer and Detroit City Distillery (plans to add several taps to its bar)
- Batch Brewing Company and Black Bottom Brewing Company (in the process of opening inside Le Petit Zinc and possibly a location in New Center).
- Detroit Beer Co. and Bent Rim Brew House (opening in a former church in Islandview)
Representatives for the Detroit Beer Experiment say the final recipes will be unveiled at all of the participating breweries on October 23 and voting will close on October 28 at 7 p.m.
Batch Brewing Company will be offering a shuttle to and from the Detroit Fall Beer Festival and the group is also arranging a special bus tour with Motor City Brew Tours to ferry drinkers to each participating brewery. The winner will be announced at an awards ceremony hosted at Batch in Corktown.
Stay tuned for more updates as the recipes and event details are finalized.
Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Black Bottom Brewing was aiming to open in Boston Edison. That plan has since fallen through. The story has been updated with the correct information.