A few familiar faces and some new dining spots scored Motor City Match grants today during the sixth round of the small business program. MCM, which launched in 2015, provides support to entrepreneurs including business planning assistance, technical support, and design assistance and helps connect new businesses with real estate owners. Vice President Joe Biden stopped by this morning’s private event to congratulate the winners. Here’s a roundup of the latest food industry grant winners:
- Cake Ambition ($25,000 grant): Anticipated winter opening Cake Ambition is a custom wedding and sculptural cake design shop founded by Jessica Bouren. Slated to open on Third Avenue in Cass Corridor, the shop will also offer coffee, fresh pastries, old fashioned candy, and a cake sundae bar.
- Nick’s Detroit ($40,000): A family-owned restaurant and sports bar operating on West Warren Avenue, 3 Nick’s Bar is expanding into a larger space with a patio and a larger menu.
- Eastern Market Brewing Company ($40,000): Expected to open this spring, Eastern Market Brewing Company will fill the former S&D Packing space off Riopelle Street. The 5,200-square-foot facility will house brewing equipment and a 120-seat taproom with between 9 and 12 beers on rotation.
- Narrow Way Cafe ($45,000): This new family-operated restaurant and coffee shop is filling up a space on Livernois Avenue next to Kuzzo’s Chicken & Waffles. Narrow Way is estimated to debut in April with products from Zingerman’s Coffee and Bakehouse on offer.
- SavannahBlue ($50,000): New to the downtown Detroit scene last year, SavannahBlue’s owners are ready to expand their operation into the first floor of their Times Square building. The new space will feature breakfast and lunch service, events space, and patio seating.
- Rocco’s Italian Deli ($50,000): This pop-up to permanent restaurant secured a space in Cass Corridor last summer beside the recently shuttered Hub of Detroit. The shop will offer cured meats, cheeses, and specialty items, alongside prepared foods, sandwiches, beer and wine.
In addition to the big grant winners a few restaurants and cafes also got MCM’s blessing in other categories. Coffee house/wine bar Pause Detroit received an award for Design, while Blessed and Highly Favored Juice Bar, Funny Girl Coffee, Kaleidoscope Baked Goods, Mocco Bar & Kitchen, P’Lacio’s, Red Triangle Pizzeria Napoletana, and Rosielee’s Restaurant received Space awards. Meanwhile, Crepe City, Cup of Morningside, Delta City Chamos, Nefertiti’s Gourmet, and Rush Fitness Cafe were recognized for their business plans. For more details on the other non-food and beverage grant winners visit Curbed Detroit.
• Motor City Match Awardees Include Jewelry Designer, Artist’s Test Lab, Furniture Maker, and More [CDET]
• All Eater Tracking [ED]