Forthcoming Cass Corridor container food hall, Detroit Shipping Co., is very close to putting spades in the ground on Peterboro Street. During a preview event on Saturday at the building site the founders unveiled four of the five restaurant partners slated to fill the food counters. The company fielded a number of submissions from interested businesses with the goal of developing the right mixture of cuisine for the street food stalls. Here’s what we know so far about the eats headed Detroit’s first food hall:
- Brujo — This Detroit newcomer is a project by the owner of Republica in Berkley teases “tacos and tapas.”
- Detroit Dog Co. — A Southeast Michigan hot dog slinger, Detroit Dog debuted in Saline in 2013. It’s since closed up shop with the goal of expanding Royal Oak and is adding a food truck to its repertoire very soon. Expect creative tube meat toppings resting in Avalon International Breads buns, loaded hand-cut fries, fried cookie dough, chicken and waffles, and more.
- Coop — Private chef Max Hardy has cooked around the country and made appearances on The Food Network’s cutthroat competition, Chopped. At Detroit Shipping Co. he’ll unveil a new chicken concept Coop. The chef offered a few recent sneak peeks on his Instagram account including homemade pickles and marinated grilled chicken.
- Monty’s Beef Co. — Royal Oak’s certified Piedmontese beef supplier will bring its quality meats to a shipping container counter in Cass Corridor. The company’s food truck provides a preview of the fare including burgers, meat on a stick, and more.
- Unconfirmed Concept — Detroit Shipping Co. is currently in final talks with one additional concept, which we’re told will serve Japanese-inspired dishes.
In addition to its restaurant partners, Detroit Shipping Co. will also operate two bars, and serve as a pop-up art space and venue for live performances. Co-founder Jonathan Hartzell tells Eater the company has submitted its request for building permits to the city and hopes to have construction underway within two weeks. If all goes as planned, the container food hall is expected to debut by December. In the meantime, you can check out the first container onsite.
• All Eater Tracking Coverage [ED]