clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Child Bites Into Wendy’s Burger Filled With Shards of Glass

The 3-year-old is reportedly recovering at home after a visit to the hospital

Brenna Houck is a Cities Manager for the Eater network. She previously edited Eater Detroit and reported for Eater. You can follow her on the internet at @brennahouck.

A child in Southgate was injured this week when she bit into a burger at a local Wendy’s restaurant that was covered in shards of broken glass. WXYZ reports that the child’s mother had taken her 3-year-old daughter to Wendy’s as a treat for a good dentist visit on Monday. However, things quickly took a turn for the worse.

"She bit into her burger, we were inside, and she started to crunch this super loud crunch... that wasn't normal," the woman says. "I was telling her don't swallow, don't swallow." As her daughter began to cry, the mother tried to remove the food from the child’s mouth. "As I was pulling her food out, I was pulling food out and blood out and I saw particles of glass on my fingers." Police were called and the mother rushed her daughter to the hospital for treatment.

According to the Detroit Free Press, a police report states that glass had broken in the kitchen on the day of the incident. The franchisee owner, Starboard Group, has also released a statement:

This is an extremely unfortunate accident and we quickly investigated, it appears a light bulb may have broken during maintenance activity in the restaurant.

Fortunately, the child is safe and recovering at home.