No one knows Hamtramck better on Paczki Day than a native, so it serves to heed their advice. One Yelper and neighborhood expert Neil Y. offers these suggestions for navigating the city around Fat Tuesday:
1) Paczkis are available on Chubby Monday (day before Fat Tuesday) at all of the bakeries. They are more fresh than when you buy them the next day.
2) All of the bakeries are open 24 hours on Chubby Monday. Buy your paczki on Monday and experience little to no wait in line.
3) Parking is at a premium, so you most likely will end up parking in the neighborhood. Please be respectful to our residents and do not block their driveways.
4) Come early for breakfast or stay for lunch or cocktails. This is our Superbowl and just about every place is running specials or has entertainment.
5) Bring cash! The bakeries do take Visa/MC but just about every other place in town only takes cash.
6) Explore the many unique paczki flavors. Rose hip jelly is considered to the flavor for paczki purists.
7) Stop in at the Polish Sea League and have a shot of Jezynowka. It's blackberry brandy and it's delicious.
8) Get your selfie taken with our mayor Karen Majewski. She's about one of the most pleasant people you will meet in our town and she'll be making the rounds.
9) Stop in at Bon Bon Bon and get a paczki flavored bon bon. Bon Bon Bon is the reason why God gave mankind sugar.
10) Have fun and enjoy yourselves. Remember, on Fat Tuesday, we're all Polish for a day.